Sunday, October 25, 2009

Let's hike...


Saturday we spent hiking the trails by Camel Lake recreation area in the Appalachicola National forset. The trails were really wet from the heavy rains the night before... we started a little late for a 9 mile trail so we only got a portion of the trail before heading back to the trailhead. We managed two miles out and two miles back so a total of 4 miles. Sam got the opportunity to play with her new camera lens. She's got a Sigma 50-150m telephoto lens which is awesome but there is a bit of a learning curve to using the lens well. Perhaps I will get a lens like this one day. Felt good to be outside, saw lots of woodpeckers (all too far for my camera) and that was cool... the forest has numerous mature long leaf pines that the woodpeckers prefer.

The Camel Lake recreation area is close to the Florida Trail -- the camping section by Camel Lake includes shower facilities and I bet if I was hiking the FL trail I would make a stop here to at least have a shower. The trail is over 1,000 miles long and showers are one of the greatest gifts to civilization. I would love to hike the trail in sections -- Actually, I would love to hike the big trail - the Appalachian trail (from Georgia to Maine). Section hikes seem doable to me.

No comments: