Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Seaside Half Marathon & 5k

March 1st 2009 -- coldest AND windest ever! We started @ 39 degrees cold! with 24mph wind!
Of course, I only ran the 5k but I do believe the half will be do-able possibly next year? This was a brutal race to me... so cold that I ran 2 miles before warming up, my feet stayed cold the whole time. Guess I need different socks :-)

My official time was 43:43 -- not fabulous but better than I expected given the conditions. I have been training pretty hard, glad to see that the extra workouts did indeed help. This is definitely a T-shirt that I truly EARNED. Interesting note: one of the rewards for completing the 5k or half-marathon was a Vera Bradley tote bag... I was not aware of this until a friend tried to sign up to run with me and the race was full. These bags are very popular. 750 people were signed up for the 5k with over 2,000 registered for the half-marathon. Being a 'newbie' I was not aware of how this race is such a big deal. I am glad I did it, proves to me I CAN DO it if I just stick with it one foot in front of the other over and over again....

(Additional note: I had planned to use my mp3 player to help me through the race, however I failed to check the status of the battery and thus I did the whole race without the tunes in my ears -- so again I have found I CAN do this without the distraction of the earbuds plugged in...)


Livestrong!

No comments: