Sunday, March 22, 2009

Race photos & other thoughts

Race Photos…

Received via email a link to a photo of my friend Stan running in the Gate River run last Saturday. This is one huge race, nearly 20,000 people! Unbelievable! The photo is a good picture of Stan – he looks fit and working hard.

I remember how excited I was to be able to send everyone a link for the photos from the Seaside race. The race photos are typically sorted – using the runners’ bib numbers with a “lost & found” area for photos where the bib numbers are not visible. I think it is fabulous to have professional photographers on the scene at these events. These men & women take some really nice shots. I have only one complaint – The pictures are expensive ($). The cheapest product I could find was $14.99 for a single 5X7 photo. If just 10% of the racers have photos ordered @ 15.00 each for the Seaside race there would be $4000 charged. The Jacksonville race is 10X larger than so the math says there is somebody making some money? Hmm… could be neat way to earn a living.

Having personal photos taken by friends and/or family is special. These photos mean someone cares about you enough to be there for you in the wee hours of the morning. [it is much easier to run in the early morning temps than in the sweltering heat of the day here in Florida] There is something invigorating about seeing and/or hearing someone you know (or not know) rooting for you. Such power in simple phrases…”You can do it!” “Way to go!” “Almost there – Keeping going!” To hear the clapping, whistling and cheering is FABULOUS! For me, running is so hard! Trying to dig a little deeper is tough especially towards the end of the race. I can see the finish line, I know I am almost there – but trying to find the “big push” forward is so hard; hearing the cheering just gives me a little boost – just enough momentum to surge forward across the finish line strong and triumphant!!!

No comments: