Sunday, June 07, 2009

June weekend

This first weekend of June has been very pleasant. A wedding in the family brought many of us together to celebrate the start of a new chapter in the lives of two families. The ceremony was done in the Episcopal church the groom grew up with, the bride was beautiful of course and at the couple's request, the festivities were kept low-key without much pomp & circumstances... it was nice.

We used this event as an excuse to explore the countryside.
We took our sweet time driving into town, traveled a new route. I have a new camera, a Nikon D60 DSLR and I was excited at the prospect to try it out. I love taking pictures, capturing a moment in time and seeing the unique beauty of the moment. Photography is an art form -- I am a fledgling student of the craft. We saw numerous birds (which I have discovered are VERY hard to capture in the camera) and we have found this new route is a pleasant drive. We even realized at least 4 new locations to put in our canoes/kayaks that we have not tried yet.

Although summer has not officially begun, in Southern Georgia it seems the Summer season is in full swing. At one of our stops, we discovered an enormous field of wild blackberries. Gorgeous! Georgia Blackberries
Seeing these berries brought back memories of childhood, picking buckets of the berries (eating twice as many as made it to Grandma's kitchen) and watching blackberry "doobie" made by grandma and Ma-Ma (my great-grandmother) basically a cooked down fruit with rolled dough cooked in the fruit -- a cobbler without crust. Yummmmm! One of those dishes I never did learn how to make. I may ask Mom if she remembers how so I can take a stab at re-creating a childhood memory. :-)

No comments: