Saturday, June 20, 2009

11 weeks and 6 days


Tick, tock - the clock is ticking along... Just under 12 weeks until the Beach Blast II -- I am signing up for the sprint duathlon. Fortunately, this is enough time to get ready. But - My training really needs to kick into gear. I took this week off from the gym -- I had 3 days with working during the day and then teaching at night. I am done with the teaching contract until late August. I can focus on getting legs under me, so to speak -- for the run and bike ride. I am doing better with my diet lately, not so many sweets... I love chocolate!!

Keeping hydrated is essential, the summer temps are brutal. Now that I am done with the night classes, I can get back to riding my bike to work... the only really difficult part of bike commuting is the ride home in the afternoon. The heat at 5pm is unbelievable! Asphalt is wicked as you stand there waiting for the lights to change... I have felt blistering heat climb up my legs and worried that soles of my shoes were melting. Currently, we have been scorching under an intense heat wave with temps reaching 100º with heat index going 105º & better. I am going to take my runs to the path early in the mornings Mon/Wed/Fri and commute 2x via bike and then Saturdays do long ride in the mornings. I know I can finish the race with my current conditioning but I really want to do well. My goal has been one sprint triathlon race this year, I am happy with a duathlon.

Next year will be a triathlon... a sprint for now. Finding a way to fit in swimming training is going to be tough, I am allergic to chlorine - so pools are out, I have to train in open water unless I can find a saline pool or something similar. Swimming lessons might not be a bad idea either, mainly lessons to build a 'decent' freestyle stroke. Fast is not as important as consistent with some endurance. Ah, my mind wanders... getting fit is so important to me and I think I have finally found the mindset to "stick to it" that when I find myself dripping in sweat I can keep pushing forward to finish it out. Livestrong!

No comments: