Monday, April 20, 2009

Starting Over

After my seven seconds shortfall... I decided to start my training all over again - "First day to 5k" in 10 weeks. I am now on week 2 - day 1 --- today was on a treadmill in the gym. Wednesday's workout will be on the actual trail used for the fitness test. I am also working towards the Beach Blast II race in September. My goal is the sprint duathlon of 1.2 mile run + 15mile bike + 3.1 mile run... I CAN DO IT!!! I know I can. AND I WILL pass that @#%! fitness test too. The race is in Mexico Beach the first weekend in September and the fitness test will be after the 30th - probably the first week in October. 'They' say it is important to have goals when working on a fitness program -- there we go, my immediate goal is to keep up with the 5k training program.

I am using Podrunner's Intervals mp3 downloads for my running workouts. (http://www.djsteveboy.com) So far, all the audio files I have gotten from Podrunner have really helped me to stay focused. There are also two other programs on the website -- "gateway to 8k" and "freeway to 10k" . Each week of the programs have sound tracks that are designed to have you alternat running with walking to build up to 30 minutes continuous running. The 8k & 10k programs get you to the finish line using the 30 minute run combined with walk breaks to complete the necessary distance.
The longest I have every 'run' has been 25 minutes on a treadmill... I will keep at it - alternating the treadmill with trails in the parks around town. Hopefully, if I can stay patient and not push it too hard. I really need to "build my base" to reach the consistent 30 minutes of continuous running... from there there are no limits!!!

Every so often I get the idea of going for a marathon... that will take time I know. So -- baby steps -- first a 5k running most of the way. I know I can do this if I train consistently. The 5k distance is doable as a run/walk (mostly walk so far has been my experience) -- I want to do this type of race as a run with minimal if any walking. So I am working on my consistency --- last week I stayed on task -- this week has started pretty well, tomorrow is a non-run day but cross-train day. Need to work the abs --- ever seeking the flat belly. :-)

No comments: