Wednesday, April 22, 2009

So freaking weird...

I am on week2 day2 of my 'first day to 5k" program -- went to the park where fitness test is held. Something so weird -- On Monday at the gym on the treadmill I got through the 2 miles without any problems but at the park I ended up fighting the side-stitch over and over... WTF!!!

Obviously my running is very different on the treadmill compared to my running outdoors on the solid ground of the road or track... somehow, I have got to figure this one out. I will keep working on this and hopefully I can find the answers.


Last week's Podrunner intervals program alternated running 60 seconds with 90 seconds walking -- this week has 90 seconds running with 2 minutes walking. I looked ahead and I see next week will include 90 seconds running / 90 seconds walking then 3 minutes run followed by 3 minutes walk... I am trying to not get impatient. Everytime I have tried these programs I tend to jump ahead and skip weeks trying to reach the "30 minutes continuous run" goal without following all the steps. I believe if I stick to the program I can at last "get there." I just have to hang in there -- and in 10 weeks I should reach the goal of 30 minutes without a walk break. Yeah - that will be so awesome!


This morning I went to the gym but spent 30 minutes on the recumbent bike instead of the treadmill. I had already planned to go running after work so I split up my day's exercise. I feel pretty good about my commitment to exercise, now I need to kick it up with my nutritional commitment. Woe is me, I love my chocolate. There are a few other junk foods I tend to give into those cravings... like potato chips and onion dip - I can eat half family bag of chips and whole can (yes, processed pop-top can!) of the dip... I know the calories & fat in this is outrageous but every so often I just go nuts and have it anyway! But if I am ever to achieve a decent level of fitness these kind of binges have to become extremely rare events.






No comments: