Monday, June 25, 2012

Everything changes...

Saturday morning was to be my first trail run -- however I have been totally sidelined. I currently have a "jones" fracture in my left foot and a split in the radius of my right wrist. The previous Saturday as I was untying canoe from our vehicle, I managed to slip and break my foot and my wrist. I had never broken a bone before, this was a new level of pain for me. Thus, my vacation ended with a thud. I have had my first ambulance ride now. The foot fracture will heal with the use of an "airboot", a bracing boot with inflatable sections to provide stable and support for the foot. The expected healing time is 4-6 weeks. The wrist required surgery as the break of the radius bone was causing the bone to pull away from the wrist. The orthopedic surgeon attached an 'external fixator' to the wrist. This device is intended to draw the bones together. The expected timeline is also 4-6 weeks for the wrist. Being down this long means my fitness training will have to start all over. If all goes well with the healing of my bones I can start fitness training again beginning in August. Running will be out of the question for a good while. Pounding of the pavement could easily lead to a re-injury. I am thinking cycling and swimming combined with resistance training will the best for getting me into shape again. The hardest part of healing so far has been psychological. I find myself teetering on depression... this could be the pain talking or not - either way I have got to find a way to keep it together.

No comments: