Sunday, May 09, 2010

getting in the groove... and staying there

My cold last weekend threw a full monkey wrench into my training... coughing so much left me sore and shortness in my breath. Running is hard enough when I can breathe... actually, I think my breathing is one of the issues I have with my running. I am going to try focusing on my breathing more when I run and see if I can get a better rhythm going between my feet and my lungs. An entire week has gone by not running and I have a race in two weeks.

This weekend I got to see some of the athletes competing in the Gulf Coast Triathlon... now that is a race! 1.2 miles swim followed by 56 mile bike ride and then finished off with a 13.1 mile run. Looking at some of the competitors you could see a lot of time is spent training -- some of the racers just look like everyday Joes. One of my long-term goals is to complete a triathlon but not so lofty as the GCT. I am aiming for a sprint or possibly an Olympic distance.

Some days I feel as if I barely treading water, my training progress seems so minimal and this really frustrates me. I have finally managed one of my goals, the fitness run time. It took 2 years to achieve this goal, taking so long to get this far has been excruciating -- so many setbacks, little things like chest colds -- sprained ankles mixed with days "I don't wanna"... mornings I couldn't get my butt out of bed. I am aiming forward again, my next goal is to maintain 30 minutes at a steady run. I know I can run 30 minutes but not yet consistently. So now my plan is to strive for that magic 30 minutes. Once I can hold this time, I will start adding time to my daily runs. Eventually, I want to be manage an hour running. I believe then I can complete a 10k run.

My plan: a daily journal, alternate running with cycling, add resistance training and eat well! I have got to get a grip on my weakness for chocolate and sugary treats.

Happy Mother's Day... Live Strong.

No comments: