Sunday, June 25, 2017

half marathon - why do i want to do this...

so,,, i have begun my training to do a half marathon in October. Why? Hmm... that's a question without a straight-forward answer. I will turn 59 two weeks prior to the race. So age is part of "it" -
I want to get fit and be really healthy.  That' another part of "it". The challenge is another part -  i find the effort required to get through is another part of "it"...
Image result for running shoes dirty
The half marathon i am planning to do is the Running for the Bay in Apalachicola,, FL on  October 22nd -- I will use the Galloway run/walk method. I will spend the next 16 weeks building up my run/walk base to complete the 13.1 miles.

This morning was the first run of the program schedule. Earlier this years i started adding strength training 2x week - i did this January through April with running 3x week (most weeks).

I felt out of sorts by the end of April - i couldn't decide what direction i wanted to take. I stopped most of my exercises with just a few runs. As the month of May progressed i realized i needed a goal.
So i decided to train for a half marathon. This is a big goal for me.  June 1st I started a boot camp style program 3x week. Many of the exercises are very challenging for me but I seem to be getting results.

So... why? Because it is hard and i want to try.



No comments: