Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Bike to work week

Monday's ride to work was fabulous! Unbelievable cold front mid-May in Florida gave us temps in low 50s -wow! The morning commute was quiet and brisk, little traffic throughout the route. Pleasant in every way... Felt glorious when I arrived. The ride home was a bit challenging with a headwind most of the way. The temp was a lovely 72 and the ride was ok except I noticed my rear needed some air and then I discovered my pump was missing a vital component - the fitting to go on tire valve. Fortunately, I wasn't REALLY low on air and could get home. Can't understand what happened to my pump, I have another small pump to use until I replace or find missing part.

I keep looking at potential routes, the morning ride is always pleasant but the afternoons can be stressful with all the traffic. My route yesterday is primarily residential but there is a 1/4 mile section that gets tense for me. Too many people are too distracted while driving... Phones, testing, radios, etc... And this section is a connector for two larger highways. So I keep trying... I know one thing is certain - I am visible, I always wear either super bright yellow, safety orange or Hi-viz green. If folks wouldn't pass me so close I would be thrilled!

No comments: